Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Policy Change: Inactive account pruning.
Starting this month we will begin pruning inactive accounts from our service. Any service using less than 1MB of bandwidth will be deleted. We are doing this for a few reasons:

1) To free up resources. We have some people who appear to be using our services to store files but do not have any web pages on their account which uses up disk space and RAM on the server.
2) To free up subdomains. Some people have registered some really good quality subdomains but still have the default place holder up, deleting the accounts will allow others to register these subdomains and use them.
3) To improve security. Abandoned accounts are never a good thing to have on a server, the less abandoned/forgotten accounts the better.

A rough look at our cPanel and Interworx server show more than 50% of service with 0KB of bandwidth used, that's a lot of wasted disk space and RAM that can be allocated to users who genuinely want to use the service.
KuJoeStarting this month we will begin pruning inactive accounts from our service. Any service using less than 1MB of bandwidth will be deleted.

Hmm, is the 1MB really necessary?  I have the default template on my home page right now, but have an active page of about 40K uncompressed / maybe 10K compressed, that might get visited 1x or 2x a week, plus an email address that gets a message once in a while. I'll probably add a few more pages at some point but 1MB is actually a fair amount of traffic by old-school standards.  Could it be reduced to 1k or something like that?  That would get rid of the zero-usage accounts.
Some weeks ago I saw a free hosting provider with a requisite of 1 GB of bandwidth per month.
I will review and adjust the policy at the end of the month to see how many people are impacted by the 1MB requirement.
(12-26-2016, 04:15 PM)KuJoe Wrote: I will review and adjust the policy at the end of the month to see how many people are impacted by the 1MB requirement.

Cool.  VestaCP says I've used 17MB this month already, a lot more than I expected, so I guess I'm ok for now either way.
Am glad my account is still OK. Just to thank you KuJoe - I don't think I'm generating the monthly bandwidth, but the account is very important to me and much valued - it's my reference for using VestaCP and kind'a appropriate that I'm using a shared hosting account that has been created in VestaCP. Quality of this account has been consistently excellent right from the beginning and the fastest of all of my accounts. Other hosting accounts have come and gone along the lines of folding, but yours have stayed. Am grateful for that. Thank you for your and your team's effort and providing us with really great space.
Hi KuJoe.

First of all, i get why you are suspending accounts that are inactive. It is a good call.

I first activated my account in May this year. As a father of a three year old I've had my hands full, but were now planning on (finally) starting to upload the little content I were planning to host.

So - my question: Is there a hope of having the hosting account reactivated?
If so: How do I go about getting that done?

Thanks in advance for helping, and for providing a great service.

Have a nice day!
(08-15-2017, 03:21 AM)the2rB Wrote: Hi KuJoe.

First of all, i get why you are suspending accounts that are inactive. It is a good call.

I first activated my account in May this year. As a father of a three year old I've had my hands full, but were now planning on (finally) starting to upload the little content I were planning to host.

So - my question: Is there a hope of having the hosting account reactivated?
If so: How do I go about getting that done?

Thanks in advance for helping, and for providing a great service.

Have a nice day!
You should be able to recreate the account with the same domain.